Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
NeoPar? 

When I first took Loki to the vet, I told his doctor what vaccines I wanted him to get; distemper, parvo, and rabies. She agreed, and told me she wanted to give him a pure canine distemper vaccine made for ferrets, and a killed parvo vaccine. However, she said she did not have a killed parvo vaccine and would have to find one.

I asked about his parvo vaccine again when I took him back in a week later (his cough came back, which was the main reason we went the week before), and the doctor said that her supplier did not carry a killed parvo vaccine, but they carried a modified live vaccine. I remember someone mentioning a modified live vaccine on here before, so I said okay, let's do that.

I called the vet a couple of days later to see about the vaccine, the nurse at the main desk told me that they would have had to order a whole tray of the modified live parvo vaccine, which wouldn't work because Loki is their only fox patient, and how the doctor was calling around to other clinics to see if they could give her one.

Well. That was about two and a half weeks ago. Loki went in to get neutered today, and I asked the nurse about the parvo vaccine when I was filling out paperwork. So she wrote it down on his sheet with a question mark. When I picked him up a couple hours later, I was told that he was not given the parvo vaccine because they had not yet found one, but they gave him his rabies vaccine instead.

At this point I am getting so extremely frustrated. I want Loki to have that parvo vaccine.

So I went online and found a modified live parvovirus vaccine called NeoPar that I can buy in single doses for $4 a piece. Does anyone know if this specific parvovirus vaccine would be okay to give to him? I can get two doses for about $25 from here:
http://www.revivalanimal.com/Neopar.html

I'd like to see if my vet would be willing to give this to him if I was the one that bought it. I'd do it myself, but I've never given a vaccine to any animal before, and I'm kind of deathly afraid of needles.

Does anyone know anything about this vaccine?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:50 pm
Profile WWW

I've not heard of the particular vaccine, but I know many people do give modified live...I figured they were pretty common, even the modified live parvo vaccine. You can find a lot of 5 way and 7 way vaccines that include parvo. I'm guessing the reason the vets office had so much trouble is they were looking for JUST a parvo vaccine and single vaccines are not so commonly used anymore.

Others have given their foxes 5 way vaccines (I believe Alynn used one on her fox). I gave Alex, my raccoon a 5 way from Tractor's Supply. Now that he's had other vaccines, I am not sure if you could just buy a 5 way and safely give that or not but it would be easy and inexpensive. They're easy to locate at farm supply stores and also very easy to administer.

When I gave Alex his vaccine, I'd never done it before either and I was quite nervous. I read about it online and watched videos until I felt comfortable doing it. It was very easy. Just research it and learn enough about it to be comfortable so you can do it safely. It is pretty simple (assuming it's basic just into the skin rather than the other weird method) so you should be able to do it yourself once you've learned how by reading about it. I wouldn't want to pay the vet bill to have them do it for you, though if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, definitely take him in.

As for ordering that particular vaccine, maybe look into reviews and find others who might have used it. Note that shipping will be very high as it probably requires overnight or something else very fast since it must stay cold.

Edit: Also one concern of doing it yourself is the slim chance that Loki could have a reaction to the vaccine and need medical attention. I took this risk because Alex does not allow strangers to get close to him, nevertheless touch him and jab him with a needle. I watched him afterward - no reactions.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 pm

I was a considering a 5-way or a 7-way before I brought Loki home, and I actually got the idea from Alynn, too. But I decided I'd rather have my vet do it. I really would not be comfortable giving him a vaccine myself, and I kind of wanted a paper record of the vaccines he got, just in case some person comes knocking on my door - and I'm expecting this eventually.

And you also voiced my main worry at this point. I'm wondering if one would be safe for him when he's already had his other vaccines. Maybe I'm comparing vaccines to cleaning solutions in my head, but I don't know how safe that would be. To mix them, I mean. So I think for right now I'll stay away from the 5-ways or 7-ways unless I can't find anything else. I'd want to run it by my vet if I did decide to go that route, though, just to make sure its safe. However, I still don't think I could administer it myself.

As for the NeoPar, it has a five-star rating on that Revival Animal Health website. All of the reviews are positive. I also visited the distributer's website (NeoTech) and there are good testimonials, but that doesn't mean anything because its not like they're going to put their bad testimonials online as well. And I had included the shipping in that $25. The $25 included the two doses, a cooler, ice, and 2-day shipping.

Honestly, two doses of the NeoPar along with all of the shipping and supplies would be less than one distemper vaccine at my vet. Granted, they'd probably charge me a small fee for giving him the vaccine if I do decide to buy it, but my vet is generally very reasonable when it comes to prices.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

If you're legal and your fox doesn't bite or scratch anyone, then I don't think the vaccines should be a problem. If your fox does bite someone, generally laws require exotics to be killed regardless of rabies vaccine (and who gave it). The other vaccines - as far as I know - are irrelevant. There could be some city or county ordinance regarding the other vaccines being required but this is not something I have heard of, just a thought. Though generally, legally rabies is the only one that is really crucial.

I have absolutely no idea about the vaccine mixing thing. I am hoping someone else will chime in on that as I'd like to know about that myself. You could order the large case of vaccines yourself but it would be expensive and I am not sure how long they keep. Your vet may be able to get a discount on it so you could pay them to order the case (if they're willing). You could also call around to other vets offices and ask if they have the vaccine you need.

Maybe talk to your vet about the NeoPar vaccine and see what they think. If they think it's a good idea, then you could order it and take it in to them. They will probably charge an office visit fee and maybe additional if they need a syringe or any other supplies to give the vaccine.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 pm

I think I'm just paranoid when it comes to Loki. I know that he's legal, but I don't want any trouble from my local law-enforcement or anything, so I keep records of everything within easy reach just in case. I also made sure that my vet has copies of all the laws on hand. I suppose you could call them paranoid precautions.

I was actually thinking about calling around to other clinics. This is actually my back-up plan. I know someone else that lives very close to me that has a fox, too, so I just messaged her on Facebook to see which vet she goes to. My vet wants me to call them with news on Loki's recovery, so I'm going to ask them about the NeoPar then, and if they aren't willing to give it to him for me and can't get a hold of one, I am definitely going to call around. I still think I have some exotic vets' websites bookmarked on my browser somewhere...

I just really want Loki to get vaccinated against parvo.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Giving a multi shot that includes things already given is not advised as it will needlessly excite they immune system for those though it shouldn't cause any major problems the once if you really had to.

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

The combo vaccines i find are just fine although I would absolutely not give a combo with leptospirosis in it, and would avoid corona virus in it. The other vaccines in the combos are usefull to give. We always give the general combo to foxes and they do quite well. The modified live, vs killed, hasn't been proven to me in real life to actually cause much problem. Any vaccine will have a small amount that react but giving benedryl before the next set will prevent it from happening again.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 pm
Profile WWW

At the animal hospital i work at, Spirits doctor found parvo right away (we didnt have the right one stocked, but it came next day delivery), and we've been alternating his series of killed parvo and ferret distemper every week until the series of shots are done.

Spirits doctor did quite a bit of research and came to the conclusion that we had to use the Ferret distemper and killed parvo vaccine alone seeing she didnt think the ones we have and use on dogs here would be completely safe for a fox... She also suggested i shouldnt get the rabies done until Spirit was done with his shots. I wonder why that is?

I also have not got Spirit fixed yet seeing we are waiting for his other ball to drop... its a shy one ;)

On Spirit's first check up he had pretty bad ear mites and coccidia, we used revolution and some other meds for the coccidia and his ears instantly got better but as of last week he still has a tiny bit of coccidia, the doc said his body will fight that off.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

My vet just couldn't find the parvo vaccine. I told them about this NeoPar vaccine and they wanted to look up the manufacturer to see if they could order it for me themselves - they probably wanted to get more money. I told them to call me when they knew if they could order it or not, and after I didn't hear from them for a week I just gave in and ordered the NeoPar myself. The NeoPar I ordered has to be administered every 21 days until Loki is 18 weeks old.

You are so lucky that your vet could find a parvo vaccine for you and that you didn't have to deal with all this crap like I did!

That's strange about the rabies vaccine. My vet gave Loki his rabies shot when he got neutered, and Loki was neutered at 10 weeks. I don't really see how waiting for Spirit to get all of his other vaccines would matter, but I am not a vet, so...

You wanna know something? Loki had coccidia too. They both must have had it when we picked them up at Tiny Tracks. I was actually going to call Dave to ask him to tell "the other person who got a silver fox kit" - i.e. you - to get their fox checked out for coccidia, but I was having so many problems with Loki and his diarrhea that I didn't. I guess I really should have!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 pm
Profile WWW

Lets just say that the clinic i work for has the most dedicated staff who solely want to help animals anyway they can. Money isn't a major drive, which is why i am so passionate about working for the people i do. The main doctor here owns the hospital and he takes on all different crazy cases for free, something new amazes me everyday I am there. The day i got Spirit everyone fell in love with him and he is treated very well! You have to be really careful with some clinics, you'll end up going broke fast! I feel lucky to have a 50% off discount haha!

But anyways, yeah we have just been alternating the parvo and distemper every week, i think he has only a couple weeks left and then we're planning to get the rabies done. How is Loki for his appointments? Spirit shows off and sits perfectly with a big smile on his face, too cute. Too bad he can't be on good behavior all the time!

I guess it helps that Spirits doctor moved here from Alaska 3 years ago, and had a ton of experience in treating all different wildlife. Maybe she is just paranoid and being extra careful at how we go about treating Spirit... She knows how crazy I am about him and I'd loose my head if anything happened to him haha.

So how long is the recovery process after getting fixed? I will probably get it done next week sometime but Spirit and I have a little trip planned in Aug, so I want to make sure he'll be good in strong by then.

Loki had coccidia too? well duh, they are brothers! Is Loki all in the clear now? or did you not get the follow up stool sample? On Spirit's follow up like 90% of the coccidia was gone, we found only 3 parasites vs. like 100 the time before, so i'm hoping he will fight it off on his own!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

Curious, why get them neutered so early? I think at least two members (including Crafty) have gotten their foxes neutered already. If I ever get one, I don't know if I'll ever get him neutered (I would get a male) since it doesn't seem super necessary. Raccoons are aggressive during mating season which is why I had Alex neutered in his first December.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 am

From my research, i just have read that getting a fox fixed can help with their behavior growing up and reduce the smell a little bit.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I've read that, too, but I figured most would have it done around 5 or 6 months of age when they've matured a bit.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm

That's why I haven't got Spirit fixed yet. Every day when i walk into the clinic for work, the doctor will see Spirit and feel between his legs, checking on his development. I had mentioned before that Spirit only had one ball that fully dropped, and the other one is slowly making its way down. So he is not fully developed. The doc is keeping a close eye on him, and we're not rushing anything, so as soon as we feel comfortable he will get fixed.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

Good thinking, that's how I would do it, Jessie. I would think if they had not dropped yet, the procedure would be invasive, perhaps riskier, and maybe even cost more.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next