Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Can a grown Iguana bite off your finger? 

I've been doing more research on Iguanas and recently read an article of a lady who apparently lost her finger to her pet Iguana that just went berserk and snapped after she gave it a bath. Are Iguanas really capable of taking a finger or is this news a bunch of nonsense? I also read an Iguana can do the "Alligator death roll" and to not let your Iguana perform that if it bites you.

Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I've never heard of them being able to bite off a finger. I would imagine that would be extremely rare. If they do the alligator-roll thing, then that would do a lot more damage than a single bite.

Maybe it was a chunk of skin off of her finger? They are definitely capable of that. They eat fruit, so I don't think they would be capable of crunching through bone.

Ball pythons (1.1)

Wishlist: aardwolves, bat-eareds, fennecs, black dragon water monitor, burmese python, ball pythons,

Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm

i've seen photos from people after very severe bites by iggys, i don't know if its possible for them to take your finger actually off, but they can certainly make enough of a mess of it that you will need it removed. its a risk that you take if you decide to work with them, same as with any animal.

1.1 macklott's pythons
1.1 kingsnake
1.0 milk snakes
0.0.1 cornsnake
0.1 tegu
0.0.1 iguanas
0.1 green cheeked conures

Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 pm

They can do a death roll, but I'm not sure of taking a persons finger actually off. I guess if it was an extremely large male and it got ahold of a pinkie that it is possible. Was it a green iguana or another type of iguana?

Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm assuming it was a Green Iguana but in the article it just said iguana. After the supposed attack it said she had the Iguana put to sleep I'll see if I can find the article again.

Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/ ... 54319.html

Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Wow I didn't realize this news was soo old 1997 lol.

Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Yea it sounds like a large male green iguana by the way they word the article, but they seem to act like it was random and with no warning, which I highly doubt.

Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 pm

If it was just entering sexual maturity, then it could well have been a sudden outburst of aggression, it is very common with these animals, unfortunately 99% of owners are incompetent because they get them at the pet store so cheap on a whim and dont do any research, which leads to early death due to improper diet and lighting, iggies being put down, released, rehomed etc and in the cases where they do make into adulthood, can be very aggressive and dangerous, with an impressive set of teeth, a tail like a bullwhip, and talon-like nails that are easily 2-3'' long. unlike big cats and other exotics, they are not strictly regulated, and not prohibitively expensive, most kids can go into a pet store and get one, without realizing that the proper enclosure for it can cost upwards of a thousand bucks, and will need to be the size of a walk-in closet, that the little 8'' lizard in the 10gallon tank will get over 6 feet long and may not only not like you, but actively attack you on a regular basis, will need expensive and energy guzzling heating and lighting, including special UV lights that need replacing every 6 months....... just look on any reptile classifieds site and see how many are for rehome, go into most pet shops, wildlife rehabilitators, exotic animal rescues, zoos etc and see how many calls they get about them, and those are the ones that survive to grow into a problem, which is sadly a minority.

1.1 macklott's pythons
1.1 kingsnake
1.0 milk snakes
0.0.1 cornsnake
0.1 tegu
0.0.1 iguanas
0.1 green cheeked conures

Thu May 24, 2012 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]