Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Home Page
Bears
Care Sheets
Dogs
Emus
Foxes
Pet Poems
Pet Steer
Pigs
Raccoons
Lite A Candle
Vet Listings

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Does anyone know if there are Mountain Lions in Illinois? 

I've been hearing alot about Cougar sightings in my local news lately, And were actually on the lookout right now because one was supposedly spotted near where I live. People keep saying the Cougars are from Wisconsin or somewhere more up North and they get lost and they end up wandering into Illinois somehow. But I'm beginning to wonder if there really are cougars that live in Illinois because this is about the 5th sighting report I heard of so far. According to the Illinois wildlife site it says the Coyote is the top predator in the wilderness of Illinois and the coyotes seemed to have taken over territories that were once inhabited by wolves in Illinois years ago.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Generally no, the subspecies was declared extinct earlier this year, but a cougar killed in Connecticut migrated from South Dakota, so it isn't impossible.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are spreading farther than they used too. In areas where "Cougar don't live" they now spot them kinda regular and lots of places keep trying to blame it on escaped pets rather than except it as a natural spreading of the species. Nature is not static. Some states are even seeing moose where they historically weren't before.

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:12 pm
Profile WWW

I've been told that there are cougars way down south in Shawnee National Forest.

Ball pythons (1.1)

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm

A couple of years back there was this big there were apparently there were several cougar sightings in the county. I live in Michigan but practically in Ohio how close we are to the border. Cougars aren't supposed to be native here but occasionally we do get reports of sightings. o_o

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 am

Yeah its just odd because there are no Bears where I live no Wolves and just Coyotes are the main predator around by me. Which they seem to love to have Cats for dinner that are left outside unattended by my neighbors.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:07 am

I live in northern IL and I've never heard of mountain lions around here but there's a random sign in my town that reads "Cougar Recovery Service" with a number. I have no idea what it is talking about though...
Also, for as long as I can remember I've had the most vivid dreams of a cougar wondering into my backyard, I'm not sure why but I have the dream at least once a year. Sometimes I feel like it must be a memory or a premonition but that seems silly.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]