Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Goat hair loss 

Hello,
I have a small herd of Pygmy goats, and one of my does has lost hair around her eyes, snout and ears. Roughly half of her hair on her face is gone. They have always rubbed off the hair on the nose ridge and eyes on fences, gates, etc, but it has never spread before to the ears. I looked at her today and it surprised me to see how much has "fallen" out.
Could it be a parasite? I have heard that zinc deficiencies cause facial hair loss, but I am concerned for her and thought you guys could help before I just call the vet. Her skin looks beautiful, and isn't crusty or rough.
She is a Pygmy/Fainter cross. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi,

There are a few things that could cause this. Most likely things would be selenium or copper deficiency. If you could post a picture of her, including the hair on the tip of her tail it may help. Even when goats are supplemented, they usually need extra selenium and especially copper. I give BoSe injections twice a year and give copper bolus every 3 months. The boluses are called copasure and they are divided up for the goats weight.
I would give ivermectin injection just to cover any mites. Ring worm is also possibility but unlikely.

The usual culprit is copper. They have a red tinge to any black fur, and they have the hair on tip of tail missing, giving a fish tail look.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ral06.html

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you Lasergrl!

I think you hit the problem right on the head, she has a red tinge to her rich black fur (which I thought was pretty! dumb) and the tip of her tail hair is missing. We gave the goats their ivermetcin last month, but could we do it again now, or should we wait a while?
Do local feed stores normally carry copper pills/goat vitamins. I am sure they do, but I haven't needed them yet so I wouldn't know. Thanks again Lasergrl, if there are any more problems I will be back!

The camera is broken so I can't take any pics, sorry.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:59 pm

I agree with Lasergrl in that hair loss is one symptom of selenium and/or copper deficiency.

In my area selenium comes only from a vet in Rx form. The one I use is called "Bo-Se". Copper can be given in a variety of ways, my preferred way is with "Replamin Plus" and/or copper capsules that I open up and feed via a little molasses as a top-dressing on their feed.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]