Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Home Page
Bears
Care Sheets
Dogs
Emus
Foxes
Pet Poems
Pet Steer
Pigs
Raccoons
Lite A Candle
Vet Listings

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
cheapest fox breeders near kentucky 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand you saw it that way but she did not actually state you are any of those things. She said what you wrote seemed to indicate that may be the case. It may have been close to the line but was not actually over it, while yours was far over the line.

Thank you for understanding.

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

alright i see your point thank you i just didn't like how she assumed but im over it now.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:09 pm

I wouldn't look for the cheapest price if I were you. Usually animals of any species sold for cheap prices have something wrong with them pysically such as an illness or something wrong with them behaviorally such as constantly biting. It's also not a good idea to get an animal if it's illegal. They will get taken away and euthanized and you will likely get restrictions put on you of even being able to have legal exotics ever again. If you say you plan on moving, why not wait until you move into the other state where it's legal? That's what I'm doing. Also, as others mentioned, reds and arctics are much harder to take care of than fennecs. From what I understand, it seems fennecs can be kept indoors,but red and arctics need outdoor enclosures. I don't know much about them,but swift and gray foxes I believe can be kept indoors as well and don't have smells either,but don't qoute me on that.

Domestic Wishlist:Czech Wolfdog,Sable Colored Siberian Husky,ferret, Blue Bay Shepherd, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:12 pm

What type of fox are you interested in? It may help us answer some of your questions.

Keep in mind Alynn is a very active member and has an arctic fox. If that species interests you, it would be good to exchange notes with her. :rhin:

Ball pythons (1.1)

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:33 pm

caninesrock i agree with the first statement but i was looking for the cheapest reptual breeder. The reason why i don't feel like waiting is because it will be years till i move because i am getting a degree. Also i understand the differences between the fennec fox and the others, those where just the options i wanted.

Ash i would want a red fennec and arctic but i don't have time for all of those and the money. I prefer a fennec right now because those are the easiest to care for and they are most like a housepet, but i was going to settle for an arctic or red considering fennec breeders are the hardest to find and they are so expensive, and an arctic is closer to my price range. Also i would rather not chat with Alynn because i don't want to argue with her again with her and she is probably mad at me anyways.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I really do not advocate keeping pets illegally. You should really wait until you're out of state. I'm sure you will regret it otherwise, and it will be another black stain on the exotic animal community when you're caught.

I was in a similar situation as you. I cannot bring my red fox into Utah. After talking with the DNR for over a year, I FINALLY was able to get approved for a permit, and it arrived in the mail today. It was awful to go through, but now I can rest easy and know that he will not be seized and euthanized.

You may wish to go to the trouble of looking into a variance; otherwise you will have to wait until you're out of state. Even if you're only planning on staying a little while in Kentucky, it's best not to even take the chance. Too much is at stake. Also, if you get caught keeping an animal illegally, it may deny you the right to obtain a permit for that animal in a different state.

Also, I was a bit confused when you said the arctic was closer to your price range as opposed to reds. Arctics are always more expensive than reds. And from what arctic owners on the board have shared, they seem more difficult to keep than reds.

Ball pythons (1.1)

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:02 pm

lol no i was saying an arctic is closer to my price range then fennecs i didn't mention red in the last comment because right now i prefer and arctic more lol. I understand but the fact of the matter is im going to be in kentucky for atleast another 3-4 yrs maybe even longer and the law makes foxes virtually unattainable so what am i supposed to do? I want more pets other then sugar gliders and kinkajous are super expensive plus idr if we can have those here now so what else am i supposed to get? A cat or dog i don't want a cat or dog i want something exotic and pretty. I really want a lynx or wolf but that definitely ain't happening. Plus idek if i will be able to move out of kentucky once i get my job because the place i want to go to is California and idk if i can afford that. So what am i supposed to do?

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:13 pm

That's a tough situation, but you really can't keep a fox in a state where they're illegal. If you plan to move to CA, I'm sorry, but you will need to change your mind about getting a fox. Any place that seizes ferrets and euthanizes them is going to find your fox.

If you are deadset on staying in Kentucky, you MUST look into getting a variance. If you look deep enough into the laws you should be able to find something regarding exceptions that can be made for importation. It may take a year or two, but that's what I had to do, and it's completely worth it.

However, if you want to share your life with a fox, I highly suggest you move to a different state if you aren't going to go through the legal system. Yes, laws can be frustrating and ridiculous, but they are still law.

It would be much harder to have your fox seized than never having one at all. If moving out of state isn't an option, or if the legal system is too difficult to work through, I'm afraid that it will have to be that way.

I'm sure you know this, but the upkeep for a first fox is a lot more than its initial price. You will likely be spending about $2000 in its first year alone. If a fennec's price is intimaditing to you, keep in mind reds and arctics are by no means cheap either.

Ball pythons (1.1)

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you ever had a pet die? If you have know it will be many times worse knowing your pet was taken and killed because you chose to have it illegally.

You will be caught. It happens all the time. People fail to take everything into account. Meter reader looks in the window. A friend gets mad at you and turns you in. If you get robed and need the police they will not over look your illegal pet. There's a very good chance a medic or firefighter wont either. Or a friend or family member may mention it either not knowing how serious it is or thinking they can trust who they told. Neighbors tend to be a problem even if they don't live super close.

Baring all that how do you get vet care? The vet can turn you in, in some states they are required too. If they don't someone may see you at the vet and that person turn you in.

You can not have a pet fox in CA either. If you really want one then you do what you need to to have it legally. Sometimes that takes years, yes. Get your degree and find a state that does allow them and move there, find a job there. It will be worth the wait.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure the no import covers fennecs? You may need an import permit, you do for most mammals but the law saying no import of foxes is under native wildlife laws so MIGHT not cover exotic foxes. It depends on how they interpret it. Have you talked to the actual people in charge? You just need a possession permit for exotic species(and maybe the import permit).

Quote:
The mentioned section lists the banned species which you can find on the link.

Quote:
Section 4. Exotic Wildlife. Unless listed in Section 3(1) of this administrative regulation, or otherwise protected by state or federal law, exotic wildlife shall not:

(1) Be classified as protected wildlife; and

(2) Require a permit from the department for possession.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/082.htm

The no import on fox is under the native wild life rules so bans red fox and gray fox

Rules on native animals
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/081.htm

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 pm
Profile WWW

well how i first found this site was from looking for kentucky breeders and a girl was also looking for a fennec i think or maybe just any fox and the answer she got back from kentucy wildlife fisheries said she can't have a fennec unless it was born here.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep yep fennecs are not banned from import but they do need an import permit as they are not on the list of import permit exempted species.

Quote:
Section 4. Importation prohibited. (1) The following species shall not be imported into Kentucky unless specified in Section 2 of this administrative regulation or subsection (2) of this section:

(a) Coyotes (Canis latrans);

(b) Foxes (Vulpes spp; Alopex lagopus; Urocyon cinereoargenteus);

It seems they are not on the exotic list for needing a possession permit either so you just need an import permit. Maybe I'm missing it but don't see any canines or fox on that list(first link).

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well to be more detailed "Vulpes ssp" could be interpreted as "all species of vulpes" hoever it is under

301 KAR 2:081. Transportation and holding of native wildlife.

and

"Native wildlife" means wildlife which have historically existed or currently exist in the wild in Kentucky without introduction by man, not including naturalized introduced species such as starlings, house sparrows and Eurasian collared doves.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/081.htm

Fennec are not native wildlife so this section does not apply to them.

You DO need an import permit however.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Importation info section

Quote:
Section 5. Transportation Permits and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. (1) Prior to entry into Kentucky, an annual or individual transportation permit as established in 301 KAR 2:081 shall be obtained for all shipments of wildlife. A person shall be responsible for applying for a transportation permit before the person:

(a) Receives a shipment of wildlife;

(b) Imports wildlife for their own use or possession; or

(c) Transports wildlife into and through the state to a destination outside Kentucky;

(2) A copy of a valid transportation permit shall accompany all shipments of wildlife into Kentucky.

(a) An individual transportation permit shall be valid for one (1) shipment of wildlife and shall also permit possession of the wildlife for the designated time period.

(b) An annual transportation permit shall be valid for multiple wildlife shipments for one (1) year from the date of issue and shall also permit possession of the wildlife for the designated time period.

(c) An annual transportation permit holder shall:

1. Notify the department in writing of any changes or additions subsequent to the original application so that an amended permit may be issued prior to subsequent wildlife importation; and

2. Notify the wildlife division by telephone at 502-564-3400 or 800-858-1549 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to each shipment of wildlife of with:

a. The date of expected shipment;

b. The source of the shipment;

c. The species being shipped;

d. The number of individuals of each species; and

e. The period of time when the wildlife will be inside the state of Kentucky.

(3) All shipments of wildlife, except for fish, amphibians, and reptiles, shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection stating that the wildlife is free from symptoms of disease. A federal quarantine certificate may be substituted for the certificate of veterinary inspection.

So call that number and they should be able to help.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you do get told they can not be imported you may want to try for a hearing as it is not in the codes that they are banned. Native fox are banned from import and fennec or any wild canines are not on the banned exotics list. So they should just need an import permit.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next